WARNING! This simple soup is going to blow your mind. You will read this recipe and think, “Hmmm seems kind of blah I don’t know.” Then you will make it anyway because I am swearing by it and you will not think another thing because your mind will be blown. Growing up part of the year in Massachusettes, you get exposed to some Portuguese dishes, none of which have ever disappointed me.
Don’t be turned off by the kale, if you are not a fan. I honestly am not a huge kale lover, preferring the superior collard but in this soup, it’s the perfect green.
Super healthy and simple to make, this is a great winter recipe but we eat it all year.
- Bunch of Kale
- 2 Cans Cannellini (white) Beans
- 1 Large Yellow Onion – roughly cut
- 4 Yukon Gold Potatoes – diced
- 2 TBS Olive oil
- 3 Cloves of Garlic chopped
- 4 Cups of Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 2 Cups of Water
- 1 lb Chorizo Sausage or Linguica (Linguica is a Portuguese sausage that is not that easy to find but if you happen to know where to get it, use that) cut up with kitchen scissors
- 1 TBS Herbs d’Provence or use 1 each of thyme and oregano (this is my inclusion, not super traditional but try it)
- 1/4 tsp of Cayenne Pepper (optional – the Chorizo can be spicy so tread lightly here)
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil a in heavy pot and add onions, garlic and sausage – cook on medium high heat stirring frequently with a wooden spoon until sausage is browned
- Turn heat down to medium, add broth, water, seasoning including dash of s&p and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil and turn heat to medium-low add the kale and cover. Let cook on medium -low for about 30 minutes stirring a few times.
- After about 30 minutes, the potatoes should be fork tender. Add beans and cayenne if using and let cook another 20 minutes or so.
- Salt & Pepper to taste.